Supporting the new journey
Often as parents and guardians we are concerned about the transition from Primary School to Secondary school. Will it be a smooth one? Will your
child be supported?
The good news is at Salesian College Sunbury we are there to help discuss each transition stage with you. We provide opportunities for teachers
and parents to work together to ensure all students are supported to allow the transition from primary to secondary school to be as effortless
As part of this overall transition process we provide the following:
- Students in Grade 5 year given opportunity to visit our College
- Applications for Year 7 open up during Grade 5 year
- Students can attend a number of events held at the College during Grade 6
- Our staff visit various primary schools to become familiar with students
- Extra Transition sessions are offered (where required)
- Year 7 students have a Year 10 Buddy (same House, same locker area)
- We have a staggered start at the beginning of the year
- Our weekly Pastoral Care Program targets Year 7 Transition
- Homeroom support is given to Year 7 students by our Year 8 students who act as 'Mini Buddies'
- House support is given from Homeroom Leaders (teachers) and House Coordinators
- A Year 7 Family Night is held in the first Term along with a Parent Engagement Free BBQ.
- The Year 7 Camp is held in the first Term
- Core classes are held in the same room throughout Years 7 and 8
- Year 7 and 8 classes are held within a dedicated area; the Savio Campus.